Healthcare Associates Memory Clinic has created an individualized protocol aimed at preventing and reducing the impact of memory loss and dementia.
Memory loss and cognitive impairment affects up to 1 in 5 adults.
Memory loss is progressive, meaning symptoms start out slowly and gradually get worse. Early detection is essential to memory preservation.
Dementia is not a specific disease. It is an overall term that describes a group of symptoms associated with a decline in memory or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person’s ability to perform everyday activities. Serious mental decline is NOT a normal part of aging. Some conditions, like Alzheimer’s disease, are irreversible. However, its progression can be slowed with early intervention. In addition, many other conditions that can cause memory loss can be reversible if treated early.
Risk Factors for Dementia/Memory Loss
- Age 45+
- Family history of Alzheimer’s/dementia
- History of diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, HIV, stroke and/or Parkinson’s
- History of substance abuse
- Tobacco use
- Long term use of benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium) and/or sedatives (Ambien, Lunesta)
- Chronic depression
- History of head trauma
- Poor diet/lack of exercise
- Lack of cognitive engagement
- Insomnia/poor sleep habits
- Lack of hobbies and social support
- High stress
The eVox system is a non-invasive test that is designed to help providers understand your cognitive health by providing an assessment of your brain’s electrical activity. The eVox system helps your provider to better understand memory loss, cognitive impairment and other stress related issues. At the Healthcare Associates Memory Clinic, we use eVox and other tests to detect and treat reversible causes of memory loss and to improve the quality of life in patients that are suffering from non-reversible causes.